3.10.11

How artists use social media & how things all relate to my job.

So our group did work on how artists (of all kinds) use social media to promote themselves & their work.

I focused specifically on Joseph Tame and how he uses twitter and RunKeeper to create and promote his running art and his social media-semi-alternative art contraption, the iRun.

Video interview uploaded! Some of the parts overlap a bit, but enjoy!

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



The final project can be viewed here:




While I did not focus on music artists, I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about my job .

I work at a live house (essentially the fancy term for a concert venue)in Shibuya. I am the only 外人 on staff, meaning if my coworkers have questions about the English language (my manager, pictured below, really loves learning all about swear words) or if a foreign customer comes in, my coworkers come to me to ask for help.


(This is from my coworker & was taken last Christmas when we had the gigantic tree up.)

Day after day I deal with managers, staff and even artists involved in the music industry (dur). I see the pain of over-aggressive and neurotic managers on staff & artists alike and, after months of watching it happen, I decided what I want to do with my life: change the system. While it may take time, my ultimate goal is to create a management system in Japan where artists not only have freedom to create, but also freedom to talk or not talk about their personal lives/significant others/etc on twitter/mixi/facebook/what have you.

Anyhow, enough of my ranting about the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment